Each of us encounters some moments which are uncalled for. In spite of that, they still happen and one finds oneself standing there clueless. One wants it to get over as soon as possible and once it is over, one prays God that it might never happen again. Despite these factors, these moments do bring a lot of laughter in their aftermath. I have to admit that these socially awkward moments break the monotony of the daily life. There is always something interesting to recall for and laugh till your stomach hurts. 🙂
- When a stranger stares at you and you have no idea what to do: So, this is the most common thing that most of us must have experienced. Out of nowhere, when someone starts staring at you, it makes you highly uncomfortable. It goes without saying that ‘no one is allowed to stare’; a fact that even that stranger knows. It is the exact reason why he/she withdraws his/her sight as soon as you start retaliating by staring back.
- When you try to make someone laugh but all in vain: The reason why the other person does not laugh at all can be that he/she may be a person of different taste of humor or he/she may be boring downright with anti- sense of humor (laughs 🙂 ). Or it may be possible that the joke you cracked was very lame and now you deserve a punch or two, and you should be grateful that the person just spared you by ignoring the you, your joke as well as your scope of punches!
- When you try to impress your crush and end up doing something really very stupid: Whether it is your first love or not, you really get bent upon impressing your crush. You try to do new things like changing your hairstyle, dressing up a little differently, trying to act extra-smart or extra-funny, pretending that you don’t get angry that easily, pretending that you’re too sane, etc. The list goes on and on… But, the situation becomes annoying when you come to know that your crush likes the exact opposite of what you were trying to portray or if he/she doesn’t notice it at all!
- When you’re being praised: It isn’t often that someone praises you, and when someone does, you stand there like a fool, blushing and not knowing how to react. Many of you go to the extent of denying the praise.
- When your siblings/cousins/friends insult you purposefully in front of your crush: This is gotta be one of the most irritating encounters! In 99% cases, you stand there denying the case and it becomes more awkward and intolerable if your crush is standing there smiling and staring at you. What are you suppose to do? Run? Yell? Thrash? hahaha 🙂
- When you have to deliver a speech and you get nervous: Stage fright is one inborn machine defects in humans. It is not seen (rarely) in those who have practiced a lot. When the stare of a single person can make you so uncomfortable, then why the hell won’t you be nervous when there are hundreds, thousands of people staring! God forbid if you forget what you were supposed to say, which you’re most likely to forget. Well, there can be solutions too, like avoiding direct eye contact, practicing and pretending that you know better than the audience!
- When you find out that the person you were waving at wasn’t waving at you: This is hilarious because it leaves you with no alternatives but to dote upon the amount of embarrassment you gathered from this experience.
- When your friend introduces you to some stranger and suddenly takes his/her leave: Okay, so this is done by non-real friend because a real one is glued to you for life! It becomes very uneasy to initiate a conversation with a stranger if both of you are not extroverts. After an unfamiliar weather-talk, you’ll either take your leave for washroom or will try to find your ‘so-called’ friend in order to bang his/her head.
- When you see your best friend after a long time, too with another person: This case is a tight slap to your importance and your autonomy over your best-friend. You just don’t know how to handle it. It becomes all the more worse if your friend is unaware of this because such things can’t even be explained. All your heart desires is punching the third party right in his/her face, and slapping and then hugging your best-friend. Easier said than done, though! Similar situation is seen in case of your boyfriend/girlfriend.
- When you have to give away your toys to a nasty kid: People with a starched collar won’t accept this, but yes, this is one issue which haunts many of us. No matter what you become and what your age is, you simply cannot tolerate parting with your old toys, with whom you don’t even play anymore. But no, your parents put forth this argument in front of the parents of that kid, without even having felt the need to ask you once. And you, as usual, don’t have much of a choice.
- When you have to refuse to the money that guests give you while leaving: Well, who doesn’t like money, too when you can get it effortlessly. In India, guests (relatives) give you money while leaving. In hearts of hearts, you’re planning what to do with that money, but you have to refuse copiously, out of courtesy and considering the stare of your parents. What a waste of energy!
Post Scriptum: This post is compiled by Aditi Tyagi in collaboration with me. You can find more about her blog here. Follow her blog to know her perspective and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed, for the sweetheart that she is!